October 2, 2009

Amidst the Calamities

Saturday. It was a different one from all of my saturdays.

After I woke up from my bed, the chills of the wind began to strike against my skin. The rain continues to pour lightly onto the ground. I just thought of another rainy day again. But I was wrong.

Aldrick already left the house because of his early schedule. And just minutes after he left, the rain started to pour really hard, and by which I already thought that classes will be suspended because of an ordinary flood that our school might be facing again. But then again, the term 'ordinary' didn't fit the situation that's happening in our school.


I received a text message from Aldrick, saying that the classes were indeed suspended. And so the others also texted me about the “hanggang-bewang” na baha. My goodness! Never did I thought that the ordinary flood I was thinking will turn out to be like that! After Aldrick arrived, he immediately took a shower, and told me that he actually walk from school to reach our home. There were no jeepneys nor other vehicles. And so we were struck at the dorm for more than 12 hours, no water and electricity for that time. Good thing there was a diner down the first floor, so we can buy food for our dinner.


Throughout the night, the wind is slashing through the windows, and the rain kept on pouring really hard. It was really scary and horrible! I'm just so thankful that our room is on the 5th floor, because the flood down the street is “hanggang-bewang” na. I immediately texted Mom about our situation, and ask how are they doing. I’m thankful that the rain there isn’t really bad compared to Metro Manila. However, Aldrick’s family was stranded along NLEX, like the other people. And the thing that surprised me the most is when he told me that the flood there is “abot-leeg”!. I was shocked to hear such a situation. I wasn’t expecting NLEX can be flooded like that! That’s when I realized that Ondoy’s wrath was something to be afraid of. Really to be afraid of.

When the morning comes, we grabbed the opportunity to have our trip to Bulacan, since the flood was greatly reduced, and the weather's somewhat fine. We arrived home safely, and there I surfed the net and watched the news about what was happening on some areas that were greatly affected by Ondoy. I was saddened by the scenes I saw on the internet. Our fellow people just lost some of their properties, and most importantly their loved ones. We were so lucky that the typhoon didn't really hit the Bulacan area that much. I'm also thankful to God that none of my friends and loved ones became victims of Ondoy. Thank you for keeping them safe. :)

As for now, what we can do is to help the victims of Ondoy by becoming volunteers on the distribution of relief goods, clothings and other things they need to survive. And most importantly: PRAY. It's what keeps us alive.. If we really pray hard, God will surely answer our prayers, especially for this new, so-called 'super typhoon' Pepeng that is to come our way. We pray that it won't cause any trouble on our country, especially to the ones who already became victims of Ondoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment